Thursday, April 26, 2012

ZAIID: KWANZA UNIT IPO HAI TANZANIA


Zaiid

Many people think that the guns of the Kwanza Unit have gone silent, but they are wrong. ZaiiD Mnete a protégé of the first hip-hop Tanzanian group is leading the battle with outstanding skills and lyrics. With only 3 years in the hip-hop game, his focus is to lead well.

Jared Ombui talked to ZaiiD Mnete.
How are you linked to Kwanza Unit?
Kwanza Unit members are like fathers when it comes to music. They inspired and nurtured me. They did endless things to see that I master the art and craft of hip-hop poetry.
When did you begin recording? 
Officially, I started recording in 2009. But unfortunately, most of the songs were never released because the studio computer crushed. I will only state that it was a blessing in disguise, only a song was recovered called ‘Mwanzo Mwisho’. I am fresh with better poetry.





 What are you working on? 

I have two projects. Firstly, is an album that is being given final touches at Tatoo Records by two producers AK 47 and Palla. Secondly, a mixtape being recorded at Bantu Records by producer Rey Teknohama.

When will the mixtape be released? 
The mixtape is called ‘Kuwa Tayari’ and God willing it will be out next month. Currently, at the moment am lining up what should be included because I have done tens of songs.album?



What about your album and what issues do you tackle? 
It is titled ‘Mwenge wa Uhuru’. The album was supposed to be released 9th December last year, a date that coincides with Tanzania’s Independence Day. It would have been timely and gave room to reflect on thoughts of how far Tanzania has developed in all relevant spheres from my perspective – an independent minded citizen from Mwenge.
As a battle MC I also talk about my community ‘Uswahilini’ ranging from politics, pride and culture.
To the national scene, are Tanzanian MCs a reflection of the community? 
That is what it is supposed to be. At the moment, very few MCs are dedicated. I feel that majority are narrow or focus on very few issues. How I wish that, all issues that that affect our community at large would be talked about from time to time – that is the only thing that we will be sure of proper and positive change.
In addition, the Tanzanian media hardly give enough airplay to great or well crafted hip-hop pieces.

Give me a context on how the media is to blame? 

It seems they love hip-hop but if you don’t know any deejay or not will to bribe, be sure your song will not be played. That is sad, and often propelled my MCs that are in an hurry to reach “their” goals easily. I doubt such lasts.
But we have the internet that does magic. Why can’t MCs utilize it? 
True that. The problem crops up when it comes to the number of Tanzanians that are online. It is a merger fraction compared to the total national population. People in the villages too hardly have access to it even with mobile telephony expansion because phones to them are purely to make calls or sending a short message.
If the radios or televisions hardly play Tanzanian hip-hop, why bother to release a mixtape and an album?
I am among the few that chose to grow first in the battle then go to the market. Music is by choice, and certain I will make it. Currently, a number of wise friends are advising me on what to do where and when. At this point, I will encourage anyone that chooses music, that s/he should do it to the end.

What plans are in place to make sure that East Africans or the world know you and buy your music? 

I am under Kwanza Unit and from what am seeing, people of East Africa and the world in general should wait for my shows so soon. But soon, there will be an official communication.
Who have you featured in your album? 
I have recorded more than 25 songs, and did them all. This was in consultation with the stakeholders. The album is likely to settle for only 12 songs.
What challenges did you face working on this album?
Dah! Making all those choruses or bridges was slightly challenging. Some songs demand for singing while am not an outstanding vocalist. The rest are minimal.
Beyond the Kiswahili language, how is Africa reflected in your album?
Personally, I love using local samples or local instruments that speak volumes of where I hail from. Some songs have my mother tongue like ‘Mzuka wa Kimaasai’, ‘Duniani kuna Mambo’ and many more.


Personally, I love using local samples or local instruments that speak volumes of where I hail from. Some songs have my mother tongue like ‘Mzuka wa Kimaasai’, ‘Duniani kuna Mambo’ and many more.
mAHOJIANO HAYA YALIFANYIKA KATI YA zAIID NA MTANDAO WA http://voturadio.com M

Comments System

facebook

Disqus Shortname

Powered by Blogger.